Under Cabinet Lighting Installation
Under cabinet lighting has become increasingly popular in recent years and Martella Electric has upgraded kitchens, studies and even garages across the Delaware Valley with these low voltage lighting systems.
Exceptionally versatile, under cabinet lights performs a number of valuable functions including the improvement of task, ambient and accent lighting. Moreover when paired with dimmers, cabinet lighting can deliver a wide range of looks that can make any area more attractive. As a result, under cabinet lights are in high demand and Martella Electric has a great deal of experience in the installation of these systems.
Benefits of Under Cabinet Lighting
Everyone seems to have their own reasons for liking under cabinet lights, but we commonly hear homeowners cite a handful of benefits they enjoy once they’ve had these fixtures installed:
- Better Visibility – Better task and ambient lighting allows occupants to perform tasks more easily and safely than in a dimly lit environment.
- Appearance – A brighter, clean appearance is delivered through the removal of shadows with the use of under cabinet light fixtures.
- Style – Cabinet lighting systems allow homeowners to emphasize features and characteristics of their home. Granite countertops in kitchens or art objects in a study can be uniquely displayed through the application of under cabinet light.
- Reduced Cost – Many under cabinet systems employ low voltage lighting equipment that consumes much less electricity and can light a broad area at a reduced cost.
Popular Applications for Cabinet Lighting
With the many benefits of under cabinet lighting the applications are seemingly endless, however there are a handful of uses most commonly seen at Martella Electric. They include:
- Kitchen Lighting – Easily the most popular use for low voltage lighting fixtures, kitchens are often the center of activity in any home and perform several critical functions. From a functional standpoint, meal preparation requires strong, direct lighting and under cabinet lights makes cooking tasks easier. In addition these fixtures not only deliver light to specific areas, but also throughout the room. And finally under cabinet lighting is attractive in that it delivers light without visible fixtures.
- Accent Lighting – Although functionality is undoubtedly the primary reason for the installation of cabinet lights, use as accent lighting is certainly among the top. Offering a rich appearance and the ability to highlight various pieces of furniture or areas of interest, under cabinet lighting options can be applied to areas throughout the home.
- Entertainment Centers – Whether highlighting the most recent stereo equipment or adding emphasis to items of interest, low voltage lighting fixtures are frequently used with entertainment centers to create a focal point within a room. Equally useful with curio cabinets and even bars, under cabinet lighting can deliver just the right amount of light easily and effectively.
Low Voltage Lighting Systems: A Popular Option
- Line Voltage vs. Low Voltage Lighting – While each type of lighting equipment has its own set of benefits and drawbacks, the most basic is the type of power used. Line Voltage systems use 120 volt power, which is available in every home, can accommodate a greater number of fixtures and doesn’t require any additional equipment. Low voltage lighting systems require a transformer to reduce the voltage from the available 120 volts to 12 volts and can be initially a little more expensive.
- Benefits of Low Voltage Systems – Despite the fact that Low Voltage Lighting systems require some additional equipment and may be a bit more expensive, the benefits that accompany this equipment are what make them popular with homeowners. They include:
- More Energy Efficient – Low voltage lighting is exceptionally efficient and a low voltage bulb can produce the same amount of light as a traditional incandescent bulb while only using 20% of the energy.
- Save Money – With lower power consumption, low voltage systems save money in the long run.
- Minimize Heat – Unlike some other bulbs, low voltage lights generate a minimal amount of heat.
- Longer Life Span – Low voltage bulbs (especially LEDs) can last up to 50 times longer than Halogen or incandescent bulbs.
- More Versatile – Compared to others, bulbs for low voltage lighting systems are fairly small and much more versatile for use in under cabinet lighting.
Whether you’re looking to upgrade your kitchen or simply highlight areas of interest in your home, under cabinet lighting has a wide range of uses. Contact Martella Electric to learn more about how we can dramatically improve your home or business with the installation of an under cabinet lighting system.